Monday, March 30, 2009

Roosters, Goats, Birds, Cows and Pipas: Which one doesn't belong?

Those are all animals that I have seen in the past four days.  Except the last one is something I ate/drank.  This past weekend I got a glimpse of what life in the Peace Corps is like.  I have spent the past four days in a town in the NE part of Costa Rica called Sarapaqui with a current PC volunteer.  My mom informed me that the guidebooks call Sarapaqui a hot spot for adrenaline junkies, with lots of opportunities for whitewater rafting, kayaking, ziplining, etc.  Though, none of those activities were on my agenda this weekend to peak into the life of a current Peace Corps volunteer, many other things were.  Some of them were firsts, and include the following:

1. I drank and ate my first Pipa (coconut water and the coconut) 30 seconds after it was pulled from the tree.
2. Met people from South Africa, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Canada, and the US.
3. Did yoga in the Chilamate rainforest (www.chilamaterainforest.com) with some of the above persons (which was actually more like Bikram's yoga due to the temperature).
4.  Hiked through the Chilamate Rainforest and was eaten alive by bugs (probably carrying Malaria and Dengue, but hopefully not).
5. Ate my first fried cannoli (the italian pasta filled with cheese, but Costa Rican style, fried, like most things here).
6. Practiced english with a High School class preparing for jobs in the field of Tourism in Costa Rica
7. Ate a mango on the street corner.
8. Showered two times every day and enjoyed the cold showers for the first time ever (thank you, humidity).
9. Drank a coke (unheard of for me!).
10. Got a tour of the town/village by three local young boys who also included the history of the area before and after the earthquake, and important social problems they see in their community.

What a weekend it was.  I will post more pictures from my camera, this is just one from the PC volunteer's camera who I visited.  Mine to come soon.


4 comments:

Pamarian said...

Hi Becca..We are living your adventure. I rememer drinking the coconut milk..It was ok..just ok.
And when it is hot and you are thirsty..a coke tastes mighty fine indeed. And you won't get sick from it either. Is the food good? Fresh fruit and veggies. In Ecuador we were bummed with how starchy and fried everything was.
Keep on writing..we love your blog!

marian stumpf said...

Great to talk to you...will be sending something to take care of the bug bites!!! Great descriptions of what you experienced!

Brian said...

I really, really like that the rainforest has it's own website. Which is more than you can say for the Miami Herald circa 1987! Hey-ooo! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Becca! My favorite blogger! Miss you! I wrote you a letter and then had a huge debaucle at the Post Office...as usual. Have you read "River Town"? It's so good. PCV in China wrote it. Read it! How long is your training? I'm surprized you already did a site visit!