Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Farmer´s markets, serendipitous discoveries, and fish-egg-looking fruits

Todays post is dedicated to my lovely friend Mary Rizos, who I think about rather often. It is dedicated to her because she is also a photographer and is the queen of dyptychs (two photos paired together). I´ve created a few dyptychs in her honor of todays activities.

First, it began on a street corner waiting for our Language and Culture Facilitator to arrive to begin class:
Once she arrived, we had class in the kitchen of a fellow trainee´s host family. There we learned one of the most important lessons ever - how to cook arrecache, tortillas, and of course, something sweet, arroz con leche (rice pudding Costa Rican style), the best part? We got to enjoy it all, only an hour after eating lunch:
After class, my host father, who owns a fruteria, goes to the Ferria de Agricultor (farmer´s market) to buy all his produce for his tienda for the next morning. It was a lot like Missoula´s farmer´s market. And by a lot, I mean.........well, not very much, but some similar produce at least, and by some, I mean.......well, I can´t think of one thing actually:

Below, the picture on the left was at the market. The picture on the right is my host father in front of his produce shop (it was closed....we just dropped off the goods):

Oh, and I almost forgot.....the importance of the title of this blog. I´ve jotted down some moments over the past week of things I thought were interesting, difficult, culturally challenging, fun, exciting, random, etc. Here they are:

First, I really miss Peanut Butter (it´s few and far between here), so when I was in San Jose a couple weeks ago, I splurged on a six dollar jar of JIF. One night in my room I was craving a spoonful, but since I had nothing normal to dip in the peanut butter, I decided to try the Starburst I had left over from my time in the States. Much to my surprise, Strawberry Starburst and Peanut Butter became the most serendipitous discovery I have made in a long time. (Hint hint: we don´t have Starburst here, and now I´m all out. Wink wink).

Second, I laugh at myself when I have to try and explain something difficult in Spanish. Examples as of late are explaining the meaning of AC/DC´s song ´Overdose´ to my 30-something-year-old host brother, and also explaining the meaning of ´picky´in Spanish, as in ´I´m picky with my beers and I´m picky with my boys.´ Apparently, they have no such word.

Third, was a lovely, very Costa Rican moment. I was hanging out with my host father in our backyard, and he picks this ball-looking thing from a tree, pops open the top and hands it to me with a spoon. I look inside and it appears to be filled with slimy fish eggs, each one covered in a clear amniotic-type sac. I reluctantly put some on my spoon and place them inside my mouth. Surprisingly, this granadilla fruit has now become one of my favorite things to eat!

Finally, on the topic of food. I think of my friend Laura who is in the Peace Corps right now in Uganda......there she is eating potatoes and grasshoppers for dinner as there is often a food shortage in her town. Here, I think I eat every two hours. I am never hungry, always full, and always willing to try new foods. What a contrast. But on that note, I have also begun to eat bugs. Here, there are hormigas, or ants, everywhere. They infest foods, they are on my bedroom floor, they are on the kitchen counter, they are in my shower. They´re tiny, but they´re there. A few days ago, I realized I had been eating them in my cereal. When I poured the last bowl from the bag, I noticed what I thought were whole grains in my Komplete all along, actually turned out to be a bunch of little teeny tiny ants that I had been munching on every morning with my 2% milk. I promptly threw that bowl away. But today, when I noticed ants floating in my tea water, I chalked it all up to a cultural experience, and continued to sip my morning Earl Grey.

6 comments:

Lukin said...

It's so funny you mentioned being indifferent to eating ants - right now I am sipping on my morning Nescafe (no filter coffee in India) with about a dozen tiny ants floating in it thanks to an infested honey jar! Just a little added texture and protein, right?

I love your blog and photos - I look forward to more tales of culinary adventures!

Lukin

marian stumpf said...

Such great reading....I feel like I'm there! Keep it coming!!! I hope you are keeping a journal for your book!

marian stumpf said...

Forgot....Baba would love it. He ate " protein" in the Pacific in WW 11!

Pamarian said...

Hi Becca..When I was teaching foods I always included bugs as food when I taught about protein. We eat creapy things too like lobster and shrimp. They are like giant bugs! Your blog is wonderful..keep em coming! I like your dia por dia philosophy. That works anywhere!
much love amiga

mary said...

BECCA! I LOVE these photos! I'd have to argue with you, though, and say that I'm actually the queen of missed opportunities, these days. But I love reading this blog so much it inspires me to be a better blogger and a more frequent photographer. Lo digo EN SERIO. Gracias mi amiga!

Unknown said...

Your blog was linked to my niece Morgan's blog. The stories were quite enjoyable. I'll bet Morgan is green with envy because your host family owns a fruit store. Morgan has been dying for healthy things to eat.
By the way, for "picky" try "quisquilloso"; that's how they say it in some countries but I'm not sure about Costa Rica. I know the vocabulary varies immensely in that part of Latin America. As a Venezuelan friend said of Central America: "If it's a food in one country, you can bet that it's a private-part in the next one." Keep writing; you do it very well.monin