Friday, March 26, 2010

Okay, So We're Kind of a Big Deal....

Okay folks, this is the post where I get to brag. About myself. Which I do maybe once every 5 years. So here it is for my next five years.

I realized I haven't talked much about work on this ol' blog. Well, that's because "work" in Peace Corps is slow-going. Nearly a year into my service and I just now finally feel like I am getting things going. One of the things I have "gotten going" lately is an Art for Peace youth group. It took a long time to get this going, or to even find youth that wanted to participate (mucha pereza aqui). Well, I found six great youth that have come weekly to workshops that discuss the importance of peace and non -violence through art. In addition to the workshops we have done other art-related projects outside of the formal workshops. One of the most recent ones we did was a huge mural next to the church in downtown Copey (designed by the youth themselves). We got a San Jose-based art organization for kids on board and they recruited volunteers to help us. Well, we completed a rather large mural in two days and it looks great.

And now here is the part where I get to brag. Not only am I so proud of my youth who have been so dedicated and enthusiastic, but our project also made it on Buen Día, Costa Rica's version of Good Morning America. Here is a link to the video. For those that don't speak spanish, you can just imagine all the great things it's saying about Copey and my youth group.... And be sure and listen to the eloquence with which they say my last name. ;)


As for our next project, the kids can't stop talking about where else we can do murals and mosaics. They have big dreams now.

Below are photos of the process:

Beginning to end:
Me and the world:

Gettin' messy:

The road to Copey is paved with.......mosaics:

Sharys being interviewed for Buen Día:

The youth being interviewed for Buen Día:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Art for Peace! So fun. Wish I was doing that instead of force-feeding Skinnies. Keep up the good work Cut!

marian stumpf said...

Soooo neat! What a wonderful project. I hope it stays there forever! Did you sign it with the kids?

Tom Stumpf said...

Very impressive, Reebs!