Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bugs, Rabbits and Chickens

So today in an email my friend Greta pointed out something in a very clever way and I just had to share it. When talking about all the health problems I've had here, she summed it up with this:


First, bed bugs. Then a bug on the chin. Then a bug in the belly.


Clearly, referring to my bed bugs, my allergic reaction, and my parasites. Yes, it's true I've got lots of bugs in my life.


In other news, today I found out someone in my site has a rabbit farm. A rabbit farm for FOOD. As in rabbit meat. Yikes. Here's a picture. Not that I took, but a picture, nonetheless.



Finally, speaking of meat, I got this crazy idea today while talking with a 9th grader and the woman with which I co-facilitate Art for Peace Workshops with that I should get chickens. Baby chickens. Raise them (free-range of course) and then when they are nice and plump, do the thing, then pluck their feathers and in the words of this woman "eat chicken for a month." Okay, so I know that wasn't so pleasant, but it's how most everyone gets their meat around here. Not being a big meat-eater, this idea of being so connected to my food has always, and especially now, really intrigues me. I'll keep you posted. I may have some baby chicks running around my yard next time we talk.


Goodbye for now, readers. Until next time.

5 comments:

Tom Stumpf said...

So much to undertake, and so little time!!! :-)

pennyo'reilly said...

I love living vicariously through your blog. I hope you feel better soon! Keep posting these interesting stories from your interesting life!

Unknown said...

Those chickens better be in the plucked state by the time I visit, or no go Sister Friend! Ha ha j/k but I bet they will be delicious...

Tom Stumpf said...

No plucking from me either...better just be chicken to eat! Your mother who loves chicken.

Greta Rybus said...

Soon you will have me to bug you... hee hee!

No collecting eggs? Thats the best reason to have chickens! They can eat some table scraps and convert them into little yummy protein capsules. And no "doing the thing" (that made me laugh!) until you have had your fill of sunny side ups!