Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Treasured Friendship Based on Four Sentences

I have this friend. Or so I would like to call him a friend since I see him nearly every day, or at the least, once a week.


But this friend and I, well, we only ever say four things to each other.


1. Hola, comó esta? (Hello, how are you?)

2. Anda de pasear? (Off to have fun?)

3. Si or No (Yes or No)

4. Gracias, hasta luego! (Thanks, see you later!)


I feel so close to him. He drives me up and down the steep mountain road to civilization (the nearest town, Santa Maria); I trust my life in him (one swift move and were rolling off that cliff); he provides sanity for me (how else would I ever be able to access the internet and the outside world?); he picks me up right at my front door (I can't help that my house is directly on the bus route); he doesn't judge me when I leave Copey a lot to go on vacation (which, is often); he supports me when I go chasing after him to not let him get away (then cracks a smile as I get on the bus, winded, and says I should run in marathons); he helps me when I have full loads (bikes from Peace Corps or big care boxes from mom); and he smiles and waves from his regal-like seat if we pass each other in the road.


He is Rodridgo. And he is my bus driver.

3 comments:

Tom Stumpf said...

A great writeup!!

marian stumpf said...

Nice bus, but on THAT narrow road! Oh, boy! Better you than me.

Unknown said...

I HEART Rodrigo! And you, of course. So cut.