Sunday, April 3, 2011

Just another day........encountering Juan

So today as I was walking into town, way up ahead of me I noticed a man on a bike coming in my direction, and simultaneously heard someone shouting "Christ lives in you!!" "Christ loves you!!!" with their arms waving in the air, and their bike haphazardly steering its own way up the road. As I got a little closer, I realized it's my neighbor, Juan. A bothersome, anticipatory sounding sigh softly came out of my mouth.


Now, Juan is my nearest neighbor. He lives up the road from me about 300 meters. He is a genuine man. He lives alone by the river with his big brown dog who often wriggles its way between my barbed wire fence to play with Riley. He is the caretaker for a very nice weekend cabin, also on the river located between our two houses. He lives a seemingly simple life. He seems content.


I like Juan. But, sometimes, there's not enough I can do to muster up the patience to listen to him and his preaching. On my morning hikes, I have three options: 1). I can take the road into town, 2). I can take the road to the side of town (very steep) or 3). I can take the road out of town just following the river, aaaaaaand also past Juan's house. The latter is one of my favorite walks. But if I do this, I've learned that I have to pretend I'm out for a jog as I pass Juan's house. Otherwise, a friendly morning 'hello' turns into a Southern Baptist preaching session. Now, I don't think Juan is a Southern Baptist. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's just conventional Christian, but he sure does love preaching. The first couple of times I listened to his preaching. But time again and again, I realized can only smile and nod soooooooo many times.


So today the conversation went like this (as I sped up as to make it looked like I was in a hurry)….


"Hola Juan"

"Hooooola Rebeca!"

"Hey, you got a bike!"

"Ohh yes, it's just an old one that was up at the house, I'm coming from Santa Maria"

**Santa Maria is a town 7 kilometers DOWN DOWN DOWN the steep mountain road, and quite a feat to bike up.

"Wow, you must be strong!"

"I am celestial!!!! Christ lives in me, Christ loves me!"

At this point I realize the preaching has begun….

"So, wow, you really can do anything"

"All this matter (motioning to the nature surrounding us), it's all celestial, it's all Christ….!!!!!! You know that!?!? You know CHrist lives in you…….!?!?!?!"

"Juan, yes, and I'd love to chat, but I'm a running late today (trying to scurry off in the opposite direction)"

"CHRIST LOVES YOU!!! (he shouts as I'm trying to indirectly motion that I have to go)…..

(bold used to denote preacher-like shouting).


And on our ways we went. I chuckled to myself as I continued on down the dirt road.


Just another uncommonly common day in the Peace Corps….


2 comments:

Tom Stumpf said...

The Lord is speaking to you, Reebs! :-)

Marian said...

Oh, Reebs, for all those days of solitude in the woods instead of church!